National Civics Bee
Calling all middle school students! Share your ideas and show off your citizenship skills in the National Civics Bee.
About the Bee
The Greater Crofton Chamber of Commerce Civics Bee is one of many pilot National Civics Bee competitions promoted by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation. Middle-school students from throughout Anne Arundel County will participate in a first-round essay competition. Judges will select twenty essays to go to the final round: a live quiz event testing civics knowledge. Winners will be recognized in their communities and receive prizes!
Each finalist will receive a certificate. In addition:
- The First Place Winner will receive a $2000 cash prize.
- The Second Place Winner will receive a $1000 cash prize.
- The Third Place Winner will receive a $500 cash prize.
How to Enter:
If you are a middle school student (6th, 7th & 8th grade) with an idea about using civics to solve a problem in your community submit a 500 word essay for consideration and complete the submission form. See link below to submit your completed essay.
Identify a problem facing your community. How might a citizen solve the problem?
Write a 500-word essay, two pages, double-spaced, that includes the following:
- What way can you contribute to your community? How might others view this problem or opportunity differently?
- What are the ways you can approach this issue?
- What is your idea or recommendation?
- What sources provide supporting evidence or examples for your idea or recommendation?
- How might members of your community or neighborhood bring your idea or recommendation to life?
- Who might oppose your idea? How might you respond?
Your essay will be evaluated based on how well you:
- Demonstrate an understanding of civics.
- Acknowledge and address opposing points of view.
- Acknowledge and address at least one Founding Principle and one Civic Virtue.
- Use primary sources, like newspapers, data, historical documents, images, or other documents that relate to your idea.
- Clearly describe an idea innovative or new to you.
Deadline: Submit your essay by Friday, February 24, 2023
We believe that informed and active citizens make for a strong country, a strong economy, and a strong workforce, and that our continued prosperity depends on the strength of all three. The National Civics Bee is a way to promote greater civics knowledge and civic participation across the country, and to energize our community with a celebration of civic pride.
Please email [email protected] any questions.